System of Evaluation for Brněnská růže
Arrangements are evaluated by the jury in four primary categories – originality, colour, composition, and technique. The first three categories are inevitably evaluated by each of the judges individually without mutual agreement in order to avoid mutual influence of the evaluators. Technique categories are the only ones which are evaluated by all the judges together in a group.
All members of all evaluating committees have to meet up before the beginning of the very competition to arrange in advance the coefficients that the judges will use to recount the points gained from the evaluators. The coefficients may be adjusted on the basis of national experience and customs. From the experience of the previous years of Brněnská růže, the coefficient are set and indicated with every category.
Following criteria are evaluated in particular categories
A) Originality (0 – 10 points, recount coefficient 2)
- uniqueness, creativity
- interpretation of the given task
- choice of the material and work with the chosen material
- technical difficulty considering originality of the work
B) Colour (0 – 10 points, recount coefficient 1)
- proportions, dominance of the used colours
- expression of the idea in colours
- composition of colours (contrast, harmony, intensity of colours)
- layout of colours
C) Composition (0 – 10 points, recount coefficient 2)
- general impression (shape, form, proportions, visual stableness)
- choice, dominance and the way of using the material (form, texture, structure, rhythm, move, line, directions, etc.)
- respect for the material
When technique categories are evaluated, the head of the jury obtains an auxiliary point chart for technique of the arrangements into which the points that all members of the jury agree on are entered. Therefore the evaluation is more detailed than in the three previous categories and 5 factors are set aside to be evaluated according to 0 – 2 point scale. Contest tasks using no fresh flowers – dried and artificial flowers – follows the table D2 for evaluating of the technique – there is no criterium “sufficient water supply of the plants and protection from the water leak”, range of the possible points by the remaining four categories is arrange in the way in which the total makes maximum of 10 points. All members of the jury judge together.
Finally, the points are entered into the auxiliary chart and counted up by the head of the jury; results are dictated to all members of the group who write them down in their own point charts.
D1) Technique for fresh flowers – 5 criteria (0 – 10 points, recount coefficient 5)
- cleanness of the arrangement (0 – 2 points)
- suitability of the technique used (0 – 2 points)
- stableness of the arrangement (firm anchorage to the framework, firm tie) and physical stableness (balance of the arrangement, e.g. in case of cascade bridal bouquets, etc.), (0 – 2 points)
- sufficient water supply of the plants and protection from the water leak (considering the technique and type of the arrangement), (0 – 2 points)
- technical complexity, elaboration, (extent of the arrangement corresponding with the time and conditions assigned, completion of the work), (0 – 2 points)
D2) Technique for dried and artificial flowers – four criteria (0 – 10 points, recount coeff. 5)
- cleanness of the arrangement (0 – 2 points)
- suitability of the technique used (0 – 3 points)
- stableness of the arrangement (firm anchorage to the framework, firm tie) and physical stableness (balance of the arrangement, e.g. in case of cascade bridal bouquets, etc.) (0 – 2 points)
- technical complexity, elaboration ,etc. (extent of the arrangement corresponding with the time and conditions assigned, completion of the work), (0 – 3 points)
When a category is evaluated, each member of the jury hands in a signed point table that will be processed by a computer. During the evaluation all evaluators of the given discipline only give 0 to 10 points in four categories, always in whole numbers. Each evaluator actually only gives 40 points, not 100, as it is noted above in the name of the evaluation system. The set coefficients, which have been already mentioned, are used for recounting of the points.
As soon as the points within particular disciplines from particular judges are entered, the computer program recounts the results according to the coefficients and makes an average form the results of all the judges, e.g. 75,28 points (of the maximum of 100 points). Potential penalty points are taken away of the average sum.
They are given by technical commissioners or members of the jury on the basis of the breach of the rules with regard to the instructions, e.g. when a decorated framework prepared in advance is used by a competitor, which is not permitted by the rules. According to the seriousness of the violation of the rules, 5 or 10 penalty points are given, which are deducted from the final result within a particular category by the computer programme, e.g. 75,28 – 5 = 70,28.
A competitor is disqualified, when he or she does not keep the instruction and creates a different floristic discipline, e.g. decoration for a bride instead of bridal bouquet, bouquet using a single flower instead of a single flower decoration, decoration of a container instead of floral object.
Determination of the total placing
Results from all of the disciplines are counted up (after the penalty points are deducted and disqualification is included) and placing of the competitors is set by the computer programme, e.g. maximum of 300 points, minimum of 0 points by three members of the jury.
Absolute winner of Brněnská růže
The absolute winner of the junior or senior category with the highest amount of points.